Friday, November 21, 2008

A New Focus to this Blog

My dad was a math teacher for more than thirty years. I always thought it would be a terrible job trying to create new and interesting subject material each day from a basic foundation that really doesn't change. He was a great teacher, but I think he got a little bored near the end of his career.

There were a lot of other teachers I knew who also seemed like they had lost interest in new ideas as the years wore on them. Some would not even let their students have copies of the tests that they took, because they would surely get passed around and it would be extra work to think up new questions for the following year.

It certainly isn't just teachers that go through these stages during their tenure, but it may be easier to recognize since they tend to focus on a single main subject...from the time they enter their profession until the end of it.

Sadly, many of those intelligent people - who were very motivated when they began their careers - got tired. And that is pretty much the same thing that happens to any of us in time, unless we change our focus now and then.

As much as I enjoy writing about my experiences with lake property and the real estate market in general, the writing style becomes a little stale after awhile. Once that happens, I become less interested in providing new information, and you have less interest in reading it.

You may have already noticed that a lot of my earlier articles provided a reasonable amount of experiential knowledge on what types of things to keep an eye out for when buying or selling lake property. If you haven't read them already, you can easily look back at those jottings to get some insight into my two decades of work in this niche. Several people have mentioned to me how valuable some of that information was to them, and it made them think differently on how to approach the market either as a seller or a buyer.

However, as the 2008 market wained, it got a bit repetitious to think of new ways to talk about a limited bucket of items, like the difference in values between sandy shoreline or the mucky variety. So I started spewing my personal thoughts on several things tied to the economic doldrums. After all, I think blogs should be a direct flow of one's own beliefs from the brain to the keyboard...even if it is off the subject a bit.

Now, as we turn to the last page of the current calendar, I'm also getting tired of this subject. I've seen enough news reports on deflation and bailouts to sicken me for quite some time. So, I'm searching for a new slant to this blog! I'll happily accept recommendations, so if you have some ideas just throw them my way.

But until I get zapped with enthusiasm from some type of turnaround - or at least a teeny little glow at the end of the tunnel - I'm going to look around for subject matter from a few of my colleagues across the country. Maybe with less of a focus entirely on waterfront property, but ideas and successes that seem to be working for people in other areas who are attempting to play the real estate game during in this dreary climate.

So let's quit focusing on the bad news (like the Dow dropping almost 700 points today), and instead turn to all the positive things going on in the world of real estate. If nothing else, it will keep me pretty busy trying to dig some up! And if it helps a few of my readers with their 2009 real estate plans, I did my job.

Dan

1 comment:

rusty wrycza said...

hey, the DOW is back UP today
so, just time it right & voila; retirment in a lake home!