Friday, May 30, 2008

Well, Here it Goes...Finally!

As the broker for Lakehomes.com Realty, I am obligated, by law, to review all the purchase agreements that come in to the office from my agents. I can tell you that I've been pretty busy over the last week. And it isn't just one or two agents - or one or two areas - it is starting to get busy across most of the state.

I've been saying for awhile now that there will be a spring market sooner or later, and I'm sure most of you were thinking I was crying "wolf!" I can't tell you how long it will last, but I've noticed some major changes this past week in how the media is now perceiving the market.

Just a month ago, nearly every news report was geared toward the sinking real estate market and all the bad things that go along with it. But the most current news stories are more focused on what good deals are out there, and how people that were priced out of the market just a couple years ago can now start buying again. Who flipped that switch?

With all this good news, I suppose that we will now go back to multiple offers on properties, with sale prices higher that what they were listed for. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but history has plenty of proof that we humans tend to act quite similar to lemmings when it comes down to good news...or bad!

I don't want to dwell on how the 2008 real estate market may or may not turn out. And I certainly won't pretend to be an expert in real estate markets across the United States - or even those other than the ones relating to waterfront properties. But based on how the phone has been ringing lately, those buyers who are in search of lakeshore homes and cabins in Minnesota and Wisconsin are definitely in the hunt.

To confirm that I wasn't just imagining the increased interest in waterfront real estate, I checked our page views on our national websites at LakehomesUSA.com, RiverhomesUSA.com and OceanhomesUSA.com. On those sites we are pushing nearly 2,000,000 page views each month, which is about double of what we were last year. Lakehomes.com, which is focused mainly on Minnesota and Western Wisconsin, has also hit record levels with nearly 1,000 visitors on the site each day viewing multiple listing pages. The waterfront buyers haven't disappeared by any means, it's just that most of them have been waiting for the right time to jump back in.

I've kind of tired from writing about the market in general, which is why I haven't been posting as often as I was. But now that sales are starting to finally take place, I will quit boring you with my day to day thoughts of how this funky real estate market may play out. No one knows - including me - so let's just sit back and watch.

While we are waiting for the results, I'll try to think up some more interesting things to entertain you with.

No comments: